At Sudley Junior School, we intend to offer our children a well sequenced, broad and balanced, challenging and inclusive curriculum which meets the requirements of the National Curriculum. Underpinned by our belief in their limitless potential, our curriculum is built upon the foundations of reading, writing and arithmetic and is shaped according to what our children need to know, understand and do in order to thrive.
Our curriculum promotes pupils children’s social, moral, spiritual and cultural development and allows our pupils to
- Enjoy and achieve by building on their unique strengths, interests and experiences,
- Be resilient and engaged in the process of their own learning
- Be happy, enthusiastic, reflective and committed learners who have a thirst for learning
- Develop their knowledge, skills and understanding in all areas, enabling them to make sustained progress.
- Develop their confidence and capacity to learn both collaboratively and independently
- Think creatively, engage in problem solving, be adventurous and explore areas of interest
- Understand the importance of pursuing a safe and healthy lifestyle both physically and mentally.
- Form positive relationships which are based on a respect for themselves and others and develop their self esteem
- Become responsible, respectful and caring citizens who celebrate diversity and make a positive contribution to the school and the wider community.
We teach the 2014 Primary National Curriculum using a subject based approach and making appropriate cross curricular links. Cultural experiences are central to the children’s learning and play a significant role in fostering the engagement, motivation and creativity that our children have to offer. We aim to use a range of evidence – based teaching approaches in order to ensure knowledge, skills and understanding are reinforced and embedded. We evaluate our practice regularly against what we know works.
Each term curriculum can be found on the website, informing parents and carers of what their child will be learning.
If you would like any further information about our school curriculum, please contact us directly.
In Sudley Junior School we value the importance of reading and the impact it has on children's lives. We therefore make reading a high priority and try to promote and develop a love of written word.
Pupils progress through stages of reading books. We use a variety of texts including Oxford Reading Tree and a range of 'real books. This provides the children with the opportunity to read a variety of genres at their level. This consolidates learning and understanding whilst still promoting variety and enjoyment. Once pupils have progressed through the stages, they move to Library books.
All children are encouraged to read for pleasure and can visit the Library with their class. We also have a school Library Club.
As a Junior School, we are aware of the importance of teacher and pupil knowledge and understanding of Phonics as one mechanism to aid spelling and reading. We are therefore engaged in the Phonics Counts Programme and receive whole-staff training on the teaching and learning of Phonics within our school.