Science Intention Statement
The Sudley Science Curriculum Intention:
At Sudley Junior School, we ensure that our pupils recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of our daily lives. We aim to increase their knowledge and understanding of our world, developing the skills associated with Science as a process of enquiry and endeavour to provide them with the confidence and motivation to continue to further develop their skills. By developing their natural curiosity, we encourage respect for living organisms and the physical environment and provide opportunities to be reflective and critical of evidence.
At Juniors School, in conjunction with the aims of the National Curriculum, our Science curriculum promotes opportunities for children to:
- foster a positive attitude towards Science and develop an enjoyment of its study.
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics;
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them;
- be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
- develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge.
- Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including I.C.T., diagrams, graphs and charts.
- Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
- Develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery.
- To develop an understanding of diversity within the world of Science